Learn Java for Android DevelopmentLearn Java for Android Development is a book that I authored in 2010. This book teaches beginner and intermediate Java developers the Java skills that are necessary for getting into Android app development. In late 2012, I upgraded this book to a second edition.
Before you can succeed as an Android app developer, you need to understand the Java language and key APIs (e.g., the Collections Framework and various I/O APIs). Because Android (at time of writing) doesn't support language features newer than Java 5 and doesn't support Java APIs newer than Java 6 (some Java 6- APIs [e.g., Swing] are not supported by Android), this book doesn't cover language features beyond Java 5 or APIs beyond Java 6.
This book's 750+ pages are mostly organized into 14 chapters and 2 appendixes. The Table of Contents appears below:
- Chapter 1: Getting Started with Java
- Chapter 2: Learning Language Fundamentals
- Chapter 3: Discovering Classes and Objects
- Chapter 4: Discovering Inheritance, Polymorphism, and Interfaces
- Chapter 5: Mastering Advanced Language Features Part 1
- Chapter 6: Mastering Advanced Language Features Part 2
- Chapter 7: Exploring the Basic APIs Part 1
- Chapter 8: Exploring the Basic APIs Part 2
- Chapter 9: Exploring the Collections Framework
- Chapter 10: Exploring Additional Utility APIs
- Chapter 11: Performing Classic I/O
- Chapter 12: Accessing Networks
- Chapter 13: Migrating to New I/O
- Chapter 14: Accessing Databases
- Appendix A: Solutions to Exercises
- Appendix B: Four of a Kind
I've also created "Appendix C: Odds and Ends", which is a 138-page PDF file distributed with the book's code. This appendix contains upgraded versions of APIs covered in the previous edition of this book along with new material.