Beginning Java 7Beginning Java 7 is a book that I authored in 2011. This book introduces you to version 7 of the Java language and various key APIs.
You learn the fundamentals of the Java language and a huge assortment of language, utility, GUI/graphics, classic I/O, network-oriented, JDBC, XML-oriented, web service-oriented, and many miscellaneous APIs. You also receive an introduction to Android app development.
This book's nearly 1400 pages are mostly organized into 12 chapters and 4 appendixes. The Table of Contents appears below:
- Chapter 1: Getting Started with Java
- Chapter 2: Discovering Classes and Objects
- Chapter 3: Exploring Advanced Language Features
- Chapter 4: Touring Language APIs
- Chapter 5: Collecting Objects
- Chapter 6: Touring Additional Utility APIs
- Chapter 7: Creating and Enriching Graphical User Interfaces
- Chapter 8: Interacting with Filesystems
- Chapter 9: Interacting with Networks and Databases
- Chapter 10: Parsing, Creating, and Transforming XML Documents
- Chapter 11: Working with Web Services
- Chapter 12: Java 7 Meets Android
- Appendix A: Solutions to Exercises
- Appendix B: Scripting API and Dynamically Typed Language Support
- Appendix C: Odds and Ends
- Appendix D: Applications Gallery
Because of the Print-On-Demand limit, the print version of this book cannot exceed 1000 pages cover to cover. Therefore, the print version includes only the 12 chapters.
Appendixes A through D are distributed separately (and for free) as PDF files. Appendixes A and B are included in the book's code file, and Appendixes C and D are included with their code in separate ZIP files.